Music

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Excuse me, Ma'am, are those YOUR kids?!

August 1st.  

This blog has been neglected for what seems like two months, but upon further investigation, alas, only two weeks.  That's what summer days will do to a SAHM... the days stre-e-e-tch out and SAHM has little power over this phenomenon.  Some summer days feel like a 2-days-in-1 Special.  Might be filled with vacation plans, birthday parties, adult parties, play date no. 1... then play date no. 2, relatives, visiting relatives, medical appointments, sick days, mental days, beach days, camping nights, sports- or arts- or whatever- camps. 

Other days, a tired-arse Mama is anxiously watching the sun in the sky aiming for sunset, while Mama pleads for sweet friggin' mercy. 2-days-in-1 has a very different connotation.  On this kind of day, Mama certainly dreads the amicable and inevitable question, what did you do today?


Hubbie and I attended a beautiful wedding of his colleague this past weekend.  It truly was a gorgeous celebration.  I was so excited! Oh-So-Selfish Me, I was so friggin' excited to get out of the house with my Hubbie With/Out Kids.  I over indulged in a dress purchase, borrowed my GalPal's abfab shoes.  I bathed, shaved, scrubbed, hydrated, quaffed, spackled and face-painted for 8 hours or so before the big event... all the while thinking of my own wedding day that seem so overwhelming, partially blurry, 100% unforgettable... way back when.

How could I ever have known way back when, the mark of the beginning of a new beautiful life...or two lives... that begin to reveal the strength we are given to gain.  All that pomp and circumstance surrounding such celebration in one day gracefully blends into a quiet lifestyle seeking and searching for balance within one soul–at the same time and ideally on the same path–and between two souls, with a faith in a future unknown.

------------------------

"Excuse me, Ma'am, are those YOUR kids?!"

------------------------

Thank you, Newlyweds, getting away sans kids for a night was pure awesome-ness.
Thank you, My Dear GalPal, getting away with 3 kids sans Hubbie for a quick vacation to our local island, also pure awesome-ness.  Also pure anxiety.  Also, priceless memories.

We boarded the small ship, heard the instructions, and found our spot on the stern.  Deprived children have I, so they ventured towards the bow and back to the stern... giddy like the flying fish we were promised to see.  After a few rounds of this, the Captain catches me by the elbow and says,

"Ma'am, are those YOUR kids?!"  
"Uh, well, no, I mean, yes, who's kids? but it's a boat, they aren't trying to jump overboard. I mean, C'mon, Capt!?"

Well, Ma'am, rules are rules, and them kids need to stay at their seat.

OOF.

I glance at my kids traversing down the aisle on a shaky ship.  I think they are far more coordinated at navigating the rocky passenger aisle than anyone else.  They were not running and they were not talking to any strangers. They are simply running to the next passenger pole, so as not to trip, and find their way to the bow.

They were enjoying their first time on a boat, just like anyone on that boat who had experienced them sea legs before.

"Mama, what are 'sea legs'?"

Little Lessons are the Biggest Lessons.

XOXO Breeze

No comments:

Post a Comment