Music

Thursday, November 18, 2010

I'll Have Some Chardonnay!

Back in the day, before marriage with kids, I proudly lived by dad's philosophy: "Work hard, play hard."  Throughout college and a career in graphic design, there was always a drink or two waiting just for me — somewhere — whether I was single, dating, or engaged.  Pondering my social time line, plus wondering how I came to love chardonnay so much, has lead me to reminisce about my party poisons of yore.  And, get this, in my blurry recollections, I have realized those poisons not only closely parallel the relationships related to them, but also can humorously define those stages in my life.  Almost warrants a list.  (Perhaps a subject matter for a later blog.)

Now here I am married with kids.  Blessed am I as my calendar is always full of events:  Ladies Book Club, GNO, bridal showers, baby showers, weddings, spa days, Friday "lunch," Sunday "tea," Call Mom Day, jewelry parties, spontaneous sahm play dates, the one-day Knitting Club, not to mention all the holiday festivities.  For me, there are two main entities that tie all of these events together: Women & Wine.

These celebratory estrogen-filled gatherings are abundant with laughter, good times, love, support, unsolicited advice, and volunteer-meal-sign-up lists for our dear friends too overwhelmed with new life, illness, or (God-forbid) recent death.  Women bring our gaggle of gals together.  Wine breaks the ice. Wine dissolves inhibitions. Wine eases us towards the table of strangers at the party of our close friend.  Wine brings giggles and pseudo-ease into a day usually filled with a lot of... well, a lot.

Countless times, I have been in the midst of making wonderful memories and even tighter bonds with my favorite gal pals over a lovely wine, when my empty glass needed attention. Countless times, I have chirped, "I'll have some Chardonnay, thanks!" 

Back to the history of party poisons
So, when did Chardonnay enter my social time line?  Why do I love this blonde wine so much?  Why do I relish any reason to raise my glass to all above mentioned celebrations honoring women, family milestones, birthdays, my kids accomplishments, my husband's hard work, and all holidays, even Arbor Day.  Why not? Arbor Day is a day of celebration, too! I say, "Cheers! Fill the glass and let's go plant an f'n tree!"

xoxo Breeze

2 comments:

  1. My favorite line: "Wine eases us towards the table of strangers at the party of our close friend." Astute observation; beautifully stated.

    ReplyDelete