Music

Monday, November 22, 2010

"Let's go plant an f'n tree!"

"Alone with myself
The trees bend to caress me
The shade hugs my heart."
~Candy Polgar


The Family Tree, it anchors us, it anchors me.

I know I am not alone when I strategically tip-toe into the holiday season with serious trepidation.  This Is An Anxious Time Of Year!  No matter what religion you hold dear, or questions you may have about the Beyond, or what age-old-traditions you are forced to render perfect... brace yourself, the holiday season is here. (Thank you, Hallmark.)

I'm a sucker for holiday marketing! A few weeks ago, long before Turkey Day, I strolled into the Pier 1 store where a Christmas rap song filled the cinnamon scented air.  Against my own will, I found myself formulating the mental holiday to-do list, gift list, and wish list.  I circled the store a few times and spent way too much time looking through every single adorable tree ornament.  (I have GOT to get that little shiny "balloon animal" rocking horse...it's fabulous!) A half hour later, I left the store empty-handed and overwhelmed with panic. At first I was kind of pissed that the store was playing that music and I had to bypass plastic hot pink Christmas trees decked out with purple peacock ornaments, but the ploy worked!!!  I am now officially a walking Post-It pad, scribbled on and tattered until the dawn of 2011.  Please leave a message... on my forehead.


The Holiday Frazzle will never cease. Once again, I scour the internet for "unique" gifts.  I spend hours thumbing through every photo card company magazine stealing design ideas for our holiday card while indecisive about this year's greeting from the Wattsons. Will it be "Merry Christmas," "Happy Holidays," or "Peace"? Nope, I'm sticking with my own tradition. It will read "Believe!"  Scratch that off the Walking Post-It Mom.

Once again, I spent over two hours prepping my son's school craft - Wreath on a wire hanger.  I earned a blister cutting out a gazillion little 1x9 inch strips of fabric for this keepsake. Being our second year of this 1st grade seasonal craft, I actually debated whether to double up the sum so that I'd be ready for Wreath no. 3 in two years.  This is the sick mind of a Frazzled Post-It Mom.

Once again, the calendar fills up quickly as I ink school functions, family gatherings, parties, theatre productions. I hound my husband for a headcount, budget, and gift idea for his work colleagues.  I panic over gifts and budget for teachers.  I'll need a few hostess gifts ready and waiting, too. I really, really want to scratch these off my to-do list so that I can focus on the true meaning of the holiday season for me: my family.  Sentimental Post-It Mom embraces tradition.

I vow to embrace the holiday traditions given to me by my English, Scottish, Irish decent.  I now embrace the traditions of my husband's family history. Together we share these traditions with our three children. From goopy sweet-adorned gingerbread houses to fresh carrots crowned with feathery green leaves for Santa's reindeer, the holidays are rich with tradition courtesy of generations before us.

This season, like all seasons, I will find a quiet moment to reflect on the true meaning of holidays.  Look up through the tree and down to the shadows. I am so thankful.

"Alone with myself
The trees bend to caress me
The shade hugs my heart."


xoxo Breeze

No comments:

Post a Comment